Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Mid Week Midnight Madness " Safety Pin Butterfly Tutorial"

Welcome to the Mid Week Tutorial with the Midnight Madness!

We are going to try and post at least two tutorial a month on our blog. I managed to put together this one from the card I made for MMSC17. Below you will find how to make a
"Beaded Safety Pin Butterfly".
I hope you enjoy it and can gain a little inspiration from it.

Here are just a few items that you will need …butterfly punch, small safety pins, small beads, wire, wire clippers, heavy cardstock (printed or plan), Copics, ink pad, stamp for textured print as desired. Below is just one way to make these and you can get very creative with the paper you would like to use.

Punch out butterfly, then color with Copics, paint or markers as desired to match your project.

Stamp some print on the butterfly for some added detail and design interest.


Use your small safety pin and bead some small seed beads or desired style beads on your pin. Make sure not to over bead as the pin still needs to be able to closed.

Slide butterfly down on the safety pin and...........

then close it locking it in place in the middle of the butterfly.

If desired, you can add a wire to the end of the safety pin by twisting and coiling the wire on or even by opening the spring end of the pin and sliding the wire through the end for added strength.
By adding some stickles and/or some glaze it will lock everything in place for a sturdier piece. Then you can add to your card or project as desired. If you click the pictures they will enlarge so you can take a closer look and if you would like to see more pictures of this project including a custom envelope , please click HERE.
There are many ways you can have fun with this idea. I used a DRS Designs globe stamp and altered it to look like it was cracked and the butterflies were escaping. Some are suspended and some are fixed to the card with glue dots. If you decide to give this technique a try, would you please come back and leave us a comment to share your project with us. I hope you have enjoyed my tutorial and I would love to hear what you think. Most of the time I am just winging it as I go, so any encouragement is very much appreciated.

39 comments:

  1. Great! I love buteerfly!
    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fab, what a fantastic idea. Thank you so much for sharing. urm Butterfly madness today then ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial, thank you so much for sharing.
    Off to make some butterfly's
    Suzi xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. For someone who is just winging it as the go, you do a fantastic job, love your tutorials, had a go at the chiffon flowers but don't have the copic markers and used my Stampin up ones, didn't work as well, so going to try sponging some ink on, oh and I did set fire to one or two oops!! Thank you for taking the time to produce these tutorials, I am sure it is very much appreciated by a lot of us novice crafters. Off to try and put together MMSC17 and some cards, then definately need to have a go at this! Take careX:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waw fab card, I love butterflies and thanks for great tutorial! hugs,Moni

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh brilliant, thank you for sharing this. I have to get some safety pins now!
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, now how clever is that.
    I'll definitely try that one, thanks for a brill tutorial
    Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG!!!! You sure wing it well!!! This is absolutely gorgeous! The card and packaging would be a gift all in itself! I have an anniversary coming up!...wink wink. Seriously, thank you soooo much for sharing this with us! I just adore those butterflies and will just have to make some myself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fabulous idea!! I would have never thought to use pins on those butterflies. This takes accessorizing your cards to the max. How wonderful and inspiring. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing this with us....it is innovative!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is such a cool idea, Priscilla. You sure do have lots of them! I love seeing how one of your ideas comes to life. I think I would probably squish that butterfly if I would try to close the safety pin, but yours looks perfect. Thanks for sharing your talent and creativity with us!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic! Thanks for sharing this tutorial with us, you make those butterflies look amazing! One more of your creative ideas to try out. Awesome!
    Hugs,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh that card is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The idea of butterflies escaping from the globe is brilliant! That's winging it with a stroke of genius!! Awesome details, TFS such a fabulous idea and tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Wow! I have plenty of beads... now where did I put those safety pins? This is going to be TOO much fun! Thanks Priscilla. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is beautiful!!! I love this idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow!!! Now that is just super awesome!! What a really fun way to make a butterfly!! TFS!! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW this is really a fabulous little butterfly!!
    Thanks for the great tutorial. 8)

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a wonderful idea!!! I love it! I'm SO trying this out! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. great tutorial! I can't wait to try it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it Priscilla, thank you for sharing that with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a cool idea! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I got the cutest litle buterfly stamp from DRS I can't wait to try this with it. I'm thinking of using it with some shrinky dink stuff. Great idea

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are sooo pretty, what a creative & fabulous idea :) WTG Priscilla!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree WTG Priscilla. Beautiful globe. Only you would think of cracking the globe to show butterflies escaping! Wow. Great tutorial and fantastic card! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wonderful tutorial, Priscilla! I really enjoyed how you put it together, very creative, xox ~Jeni

    ReplyDelete
  26. such as cute idea...thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow!!!beautiful tutorial;;;;thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great tutorial Priscilla!! Very creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. VERY COOL ... thanks for sharing the tutorial with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous card and fabulous tutorial. Thank you Priscilla :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lub it, thanks for showing us how we can use the things we (probably) already have and make a personal item for our projects. I know just what I will be using this for, let's see what happens, lol!!
    Thanks again, love the tutorials, I hope you'll keep posting them for us!!
    Stephanne

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love this idea!
    So simple and playful child. But this has to be remembered. Sometimes we forget to be as little children.
    Thank you for the wonderful view, and butterflies are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fab fab fabby job on the butterflies!! Haven't got this punch but who needs a punch!
    ((Lyn))

    ReplyDelete
  34. Terrific idea and another breathtakingly beautiful card Priscilla!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wonderful tutorial & I can see this making an appearance & fluttering onto lots of my cards from now on :-)
    Hugs, Ann xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Priscilla, great tutorial and beautiful card!!
    Hugs Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow, this is an eye popping, outstanding creation! I am in awe!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. So I am running out of time to play along with this weeks sketch; however, I have played along with The Madness in some form, and you can see how I've incorporated your tutorial into my project here. I don't have a punch, so I adapted the technique to suite what I've got, a stamp and a blade...

    Again, thanks for sharing ;)
    Stephanne

    ReplyDelete